4-H bought Canter's Cave in 1949 and later expanded the holdings to more than 350 acres. Canter’s Cave serves as the site of summer camps for 4-H programs in ten southeastern Ohio counties: Adams, Brown, Gallia, Highland, Jackson, Lawrence, Meigs, Pike, Scioto and Vinton. Most of the camp activities are held there at the Elizabeth L. Evans Outdoor Education Center. The camp is supported by and the center is named for the family of Bob Evans, a famous restaurateur and native of the nearby city of Gallipolis. Canter's Cave also is the site of numerous other activities, such as banquets, weddings, retreats, outdoor and historical seminars and trade fairs.